PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2004, 00:32
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
No - it's quite a way from the sea! Situated down in Zumazett near the village of Ilton.

I guess the Clunks were in storage for some reason; I don't know whether they were shipped back to Canada after service with the Belgian Air Force - but what on earth they were doing in the land of Scrumpy and Western, I've no idea!

Back to Vulcans - we once flew one from Goose to Chatham and had a play with a couple of CF-101s on the way. After their initial nuclear missile shot (cheats!), we did a bit of fighter affil - and ended up happily in the 6 o'clock of a CF-101 tracking him quite nicely. They played the tape back afterwards and you could hear the back-seater exclaiming "Sh*t - he's in our 6. How did ya let somethin' that big pull that trick on us!"

Later there followed a good session in their mess, their boss's house etc and finally we got back to our motel at some ungodly hour. Next day, feeling like death, a couple of us were offered back seat rides in the Voodoo. But only 1 jet was available; we tossed a coin and fortunately the Nav Plotter ('Animal' - he of a later famous G Blades victory!) won the toss. I don't think my Canadian breakfast sitting uncomfortably on rather too much Labatt's would have stayed down for long had I gone flying in the back of the CF-101!