PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2022, 01:39
NutLoose

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Winemaker

Since I'm being pedantic, I'll also point out that a falling object in the atmosphere will reach some terminal velocity, determined by its drag characteristics; for a sky diver it's about 120 mph. I seriously doubt any dropped object in the atmosphere will go supersonic.
That is totally height dependent, the higher you go, the thinner the atmosphere, the faster you drop.

In 2012, the record for the highest skydive in history was broken by Felix Baumgartner in what’s been considered as the greatest marketing stunt in history! People from around the globe stopped everything to watch a YouTube live stream of Baumgartner stepping out of his Red Bull capsule from the stunning altitude of 127,852 feet! Baumgartner’s jump would set records for the highest skydive in history, fastest freefall speed (843.6 mph or Mach 1.25), and become the first man to break the sound barrier without vehicular power. Additionally, Baumgartner broke the records for vertical freefall distance with a drogue parachute, and vertical speed without a drogue.
https://www.skydivetecumseh.com/2020...ve-in-history/