PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WIZZ AIR Skiathos vid
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2022, 12:54
Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
That is a very good point. I’ve never operated to JSI but I have used airports with similar LDA.

I can understand the reluctance to use a “standard” approach and landing technique but that’s what the figures are based on, and if you get it right you should stop with adequate runway remaining: IFLD uses LDR x 1.15 which is a reasonable margin. Maybe some sessions in the sim to give people confidence that it will do what the book says? My personal experience has been that shallow approaches and/or trying to get it down early often end in a float past the normal touchdown point or a bounce.

If you don’t get it down in the right place at the right speed, then reject the landing. Just out of interest I ran the numbers on the 777 and yes, you could land a -200ER there at MLW but I think it would fail at the planning stage.
Before I went there (A321) we had a dedicated sim visit as it was Cat C. The most challenging part was staying on the 30M pavement with a low speed engine failure. This is where I find the whole argument about "ducking under" ridiculous. An hour after landing at JSI, pilots will refuel and calculate performance which will generate a V1 somewhere around the 130 knot mark. They will then happily take off using it. I'm guessing here, but there is probably around 900M in which to stop from V1 in a much heavier aircraft than the one they landed in just an hour before. Is it just me?