PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Pilots told to brake less.
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2022, 16:21
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Great thread and worth Tech Log forum, IMHO.

The wear of the brake rotors and disks and calipers needs to be compared with the ability of the brakes to absorb the energy - i.e. wear versus stopping ability. I used both the steel and the carbon brakes for many landings - a few thousands. And the carbon ones on the Viper were a surprise because they heated up easier than the steel ones. So the technique of one large application was about same as effect as many small, frequent ones as far as braking energy was concerned, but the heat build up was worse using the many applications.

I use the same technique on my auto brakes nowadays as I did in the Viper way back when we realized the new brakes were "different" than the old ones., with it's cosmic carbon brakes. One large application kept the heat down versus fequent taps. The rule of thumb is one third of speed reduction before braking results in one half of the brake energy requirement. A favorite number I use is that slowing 5 mph or so at highway speeds has about the same brake energy requirement /wear as braking from 30 mph to a full stop. It's the velocity change that is the driver - v1 squared minus v2 squared. Someone here can refine my numbers, but I am still going with that RoT and get super brake wear on my old truck.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 7th Aug 2022 at 04:09. Reason: grammar;clarification