PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Within 6ft of the Ground nearly 1 mile Short of Runway
Old 4th Aug 2022, 05:56
Eutychus

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Youmightsaythat
99% of the time they should be. Can I ask...are you a pilot? If not you will not understand the circumstances behind the situation.
I've stated since the outset of this conversation that I'm SLF. If you want to ignore everything else I say on that basis, feel free. However, I do make a living out of knowing a thing or two about language. I freely admit to not understanding *all* the circumstances behind the situation, but I would like you to consider that *some* of the circumstances behind the situation might be better appraised by people who aren't pilots but who can bring an outside perspective with relevant expertise.

A recent poll on Linkedin asked " Do you consider ATC RT transmissions in multiple languages at major international airports has"...currently the voting is as follows

NO Effect on safety 2%

A detrimental effect on safety 96%

Dont Know 2%

Like most surveys the outcome depends a lot on how the question is framed, and LinkedIn is hardly a respected polling organisaion seeking a representative sample, etc.
I think that is the reality that pilots see every day
If you read upthread, you'll see I acknowledged some time ago that multiple languages certainly are a problem. The question that interests me, and that comes with my outside perspective, is whether replacing them in this setting with a single language might not run the risk of creating other, more serious problems.
By the way, an important point you haven't addressed upthread is that in the instance you cite at CDG in your opening post, the communication error was in English. Would you be happy accepting a universal aviation language that wasn't English?