PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 22 year old killed by tail rotor
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2022, 11:16
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Takes me back to an incident in the the mid seventies in Germany.
I went as engineer with a Scout helicopter and the pilot. The task was to lift troops on an exercise.
First load all the pax arrived at one door and one decided to go for a different door. Went down the back and ducked under the tailboom.
Pliot saw him go and shut down straight away. Not that that would have saved the guy if he had gone further back.
A discussion was then had with the infantry and it became apparent that they were used to Puma/Wessex and there had been no briefing on the Scout.
I spent the rest of the afternoon briefing each stick prior to boarding.

On a more personal note we were carrying out night ops at Bessbrook with Scouts, there were no lights on the helipad or the aircraft. The refuelling hoses had been laid out to facilitate the refuels.
First aircraft back landed out of position and 90 degrees out.. In the dark I could see nothing and went searching for the hose. I felt the exhaust on me and realised I was somewhere towards the tail.
An unpleasant moment. Being familiar and used to downwash and noise I was still caught out. I still go cold over that one.