PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Bishop RIP
Thread: Dick Bishop RIP
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2022, 19:51
D7666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(( apologies if this late answer 18 mo after the event to this thread breaks forum rules ))

It is with sadness I came across this news accidently. I knew Dick well. But from far different origins.I simply met him knew him as a local in the (now long closed) Maidens Head pub in Whitwell in 1990s. I knew him first as a throroughly knowledgable and philosophical and kindly local holding up the bar, but one of the best I've ever met, before knowing anything about his background with de Havilland etc not even as an aviator in any sense. Back in the days when home computers and dial up modems were new he got into a mess with what was then the bee's knees of home / office computing ... ta da ... MS Works. (Which dates this anecdote.) He knew from pub chatter I was "into" computers at the time and asked me if I could help. Took me all of 10 minutes, but was then treated first to locally sourced (don't ask !!!) trout and then venison, prepared by Dick himself, seemingly an expert cook on the sly, I think Trish just did the washing up! From that visit I learnt of his background at Hatfield, and his father being Comet designer was of great interest to me an engineer as an early job of mine involved metal fatigue. It was a pleasure to talk over fundamental Comet issues without a lot of the 20:20 hindsight vision armchair criticises you oft find after such events. Last time I saw him in the pub (closed what 10? years ago now) he was training 747 crews with some cargo outfit out of somewhere in Kent. At least I think that was it. I only saw him a couple of times after, driving his battered Citreon BX in the lanes east of Luton where I often walk; he always stopped for a natter. I hope I not bored you. He wasn't just a great person in the air industry, he was an all round great person. Regret losing contact with him in more recent years. RIP.