PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2022, 03:40
finestkind

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by VHOEG
Finestkind,
As someone trying to get in (either ADFA or DEO) for 2023, would you mind enlightening me on a few things?
  • I certainly have a goal.
  • I believe I've got the motivation.
  • I believe I can apply myself (at least based on school experience).
  • I don't know about the potential [yet] (I've flown a little which I loved and seemed to "understand" - for what it's worth in ~10 hrs - according to instructors).
  • I think I have a realistic appreciation for the difficulty and demands of pilot's course.
But I'm a bit lost regarding maturity.
I think I'm 'mature' but was told at the start of the year to gain more leadership experience (which I have since done) to 'mature' a bit before continuing on the DEO application side later this year.
Do you have any suggestions on what you're looking for in a person on pilot's course regarding maturity? Likewise, are there any 'indicators' for potential (or any other areas, for that matter) that you look for?

Admittedly, at the end of the day, my biggest fear would be to fail pilot's course (particularly after getting an IMPS from ADFA) so I want to make sure that if I'm offered a place as a pilot, I put myself in the best possible position (and state of mind) to pass (and hopefully excel at) pilot's course.

Thank you.
Got ASP coming up soon so any advice will be great to take into OSB if successful at ASP.
The ASP should enlighten you on a number of aspects. If you want to punch holes in the sky than the RAAF is the only way to go. But bear in mind that you join as Officer Aviation in the RAAF which means you can end up being a number of things, aviation wise, apart from pilot and also not necessarily a fast jet pilot i.e UAV pilot. The Navy and Army do sign you up as helicopter pilot and that is where you go and either gain your wings or not.

In respect to IMPS for ADFA that is your choice. A couple of points. You get paid whilst gaining a degree and you have a job after gaining that degree. So worst case scenario is unsuccessful on pilots course but have a few years of paid employment (of which you may end up finding that you really enjoy even if not pushing and pulling). This as opposed to civvy street where you owe for your degree and either do not have a job or one that is not related to your degree.

Maturity? Well there are a number of 22/23 year old's out there as DEO's doing it. I think you will find that the maturity aspect is highly related to what you have done, application, and also to an appreciation of what you are getting yourself into. By what you have said I would think that your maturity is fine.

Leadership is still looked at but not as heavily as once with MACTS results having a major bearing. But like anything if you have two candidates that have very similar results who do you pick. The one with a track record/history in what you are looking for.

Confidence ;
  • I certainly have a goal. Tick
  • I believe I've got the motivation. No you have shown you have motivation through going through the RC BS and undertaking flying lessons
  • I believe I can apply myself (at least based on school experience). I have shown application through my school results and xyz
  • I don't know about the potential [yet] (I've flown a little which I loved and seemed to "understand" - for what it's worth in ~10 hrs - according to instructors). According to my instruction I have potential and as far as an OSB goes shown through your MACTS results.
  • I think I have a realistic appreciation for the difficulty and demands of pilot's course. I have looked into pilots course, spoken to xyz, read forums, asked questions to gain an insight into what I am undertaking.
With the OSB suffice to say be prepared. In regards to how it once was, with blood having to be cleaned up before the next interview, to how it is now it has evolved into a more civilised equation.

Last edited by finestkind; 28th Jul 2022 at 05:59.