PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pam Am German Operation
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 12:06
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bean
look at 1967 BEA summer timetable. 11 Viscounts in daily use including 5 night stoppers at outstations plus, no doubt a couple of spares at THF
This would have been at the time of most competition. BEA used Viscounts by the early 1960s, which gave them the edge over Pan Am who were still using reciprocating DC-6Bs, some quite new (and indeed still some unpressurised DC-4s). Pan Am then brought in the 727, which reversed things. BEA, to compete, then rejigged their fleet and came up with the "Viscount Silver Star", a sub-fleet specially for Berlin, with reduced seat numbers and better pitch (you might find this mentioned in the timetable), but realised this was short term, and looked to BAC for the forthcoming One-Eleven 500, first arrived I think in 1968.

The ATR-42s, mentioned above, which operated lesser Pan Am destinations in the latter days, were I believe operated by Ransome Airlines, a Pan Am Express feeder operator of the time at New York - they operated for various other major carriers as well, and they must have brought their own crews in. They competed with the BA minor routes which used 748s, and later ATPs, and also Dan-Air, who in their typical style of everything, everywhere, had started a couple of 748 short-haul routes. I seem to recall the Pan Am/Ransome ATRs from Berlin even got as far afield as Zurich.

Last edited by WHBM; 24th Jul 2022 at 12:18.