PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fuel Mayday
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2022, 08:39
fdr

Received 847 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mates rates
Does Qantas apply an individual performance degradation figure to their computerised flight planning?
Used to... however, it is curious that some parts of the policy in 2018 made it a requirement to apply manufacturer data for the fuel planning in certain cases, and that hopefully doesn't come up too often, as it would be a pain and also would not necessarily be biased towards safety.

A further curiosity arises that the alternate diversion ends up covering OEI or Depress... which means that the whole thing has to be planned as that case, which appears to be a multiple failure case that is not generally covered anywhere else... that is, you have your failure en-route, still approach and miss at your destination, and then climb back up and trundle cross country to another world location on one engine, or decompressed etc... and that seems odd. At arrival at the new new new destination, the alternative to the airport that in spite of being engine out you flew away from, you are also planned to land with 15 minutes 'o gas. Excellent. Now, as a punter, I think I would be unhappy about that scenario being done with my skin in play, and as an accident investigator, I would expect a fair bit of issues raised for the setup of lunacy by a regulator.

Perth always has been and always will be an annoying airport on occasions, Have had greater than 70 kts crosswind on all runways for arrival, and looked out of the #2 window of a 74 to see the runway, and not been too happy with that. Following the divert to a location that is good for seafood, 5 hours later, we arrive in fog. Perth is designed for the entertainment of the gods, not drivers.