PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2022, 10:33
DashTrash.

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
"Stuck" in SH? With new hires on the 787/330/350 they would be getting paid less than a SH FO. The only ones who wouldn't would be senior A380 SOs and the ones who can be senior enough (and I'm talking the ones more senior than 330 FO) to write their own roster otherwise you'll be junior for a long time. The A380 has to have a limited future, so by the time you'd be in company long enough to reap the rewards of being a senior 380 SO the fleet would be close to retirement.

Potentially waiting an extended period to make it to LH FO would mean a lot of time out of a control seat, you'll probably find the transition easier if you went to SH and got a lot more hands on sectors rather than remaining as an SO until you could get to the RHS.
DR DRE. I don’t not disagree with what you have said. However I would add 2c to the above.

Firstly, whilst the 737 FO does make more per hour than a330/787 SO at present and you are in a control seat.

Most guys n girls coming into the operation already have a wealth of experience and for most, this is not their first jet.

There is a swap of priorities for some to pursue quality of life over renumeration.

The way I’d describe it, is that SH FOs are paid around 20% more to do twice as much work. Now for myself as a LH SO, I enjoy the extra time off to pursue other hobbies and business. This is just me and your own experience might be different. But with the hours I’m currently doing I’m earning the same amount as SH FO and scratching a fraction of the work.

DT