PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pondering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2022, 17:27
Mr Angry from Purley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns
Well to be fair I actually do get where the Jet2 bashing comes from but it is a bit weird how quick people on here go mental about any pro Jet2 posts... However, back on thread, if you are going to leave BA and remain a pilot living in the UK you only really have maybe 5 options that I can think of and I'll give you my take, assuming you are an FO:

Virgin - long haul obviously attracts, London base makes the swap easier from BA but from what I have heard I believe they are cutting all of the good stuff, bullets etc and not what it once was, second hand info though. Swapping one seniority list for another.

TUI - same as Virgin with more base options. Very precarious financial situation and would take a brave man to swap BA for TUI right now. Salaries are probably equivalent, a friend has earned close to 100k as an FO doing day offs etc. Seniority list again though and that stupid 7k a year for the TR if you don't have the rating has put most people off, part time contract aswell.

Easyjet: Good salaries for Captain although I don't know the exact figures. European bases, quicker command, if you are already Airbus this is going to be a quick transfer. High workload, don't know what you fly at BA but if I wanted to fly 800 hrs a year i would just go to the desert

Jet2: Growing company. Not top level salaries but 85k+ for an SFO and 130k+ for a Captain is competitive. Probably the lightest workload of the lot if you can survive the random roster. Like night flying it won't suit everyone. Good choice of bases. Summers are busy busy and fatiguing, normally you have the winter to recover but with the growth of the business that may not last forever. Long haul is inevitable in my opinion if that's what you want but TUI or Virgin will. Offer this quicker. Brexit seems to have killed the European bases for now unfortunately.

DHL: safe. Cargo is literally flying and will most likely continue to grow. Night flying is tough, FO salary isn't great. Relatively long time to command but I think its worth it when you get there.
DHL night flying is now the same as any other LH Airline, if you fly at night you normally follow by day, and if you start in the day you'll end at night.
DHL also has a wide range of part time positions probably triple the number of UK AOC's left these days. And time to Command seems to be very quick due to recent expansion albeit at the loss of xx 757's to DHL Austria - blame Brexit for that...