PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/A-18 Super Hornet Lost Overboard Off CVN In Mediterranean
Old 16th Jul 2022, 12:41
lefty loose

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
F/A-18 Super Hornet Lost Overboard Off CVN In Mediterranean

It would be interesting to read the final report into this aircraft misadventure, luckily no loss of life. I can only presume that part of well-defined procedure was omitted in order for such a calamity to occur.

My recollection is relating to XT269 departing from HMS Ark Royal 15/2/1972 (and I don’t believe the procedures have changed that much).

XT269 was being moved from the lower deck hangar ‘post maintenance’ very early on a mild calm morning around 05:30. The handling team positioned the aircraft on the starboard side aft of the island. The plane captain applied the brakes (only effective if the accumulator is sufficiently charged) and then started to affix the mandatory 6 lashing chains. As he was fitting the first chain (which would have stopped the aircraft rolling forward), the pin connecting the aircraft tug to the towing arm was removed. Unfortunately the main wheel chocks had not been inserted and the ship gently rolled to starboard; the aircraft still attached to the towing arm very slowly rolled backwards and departed the flight deck tearing out some safety rails/nets. It sank very quickly and left behind a radome to indicate X marks the spot.

I understand the ‘storm’ mentioned at the time was not weather related but possibly commenced around the same time XT269 touched down on the sea bed! Some time later the Killick aircraft handler was fined £20.00 and a loss of 2 weeks shore leave on Captains defaulters.

The filming of a subsequent aircraft XN954 completing a similar flight profile was used as a safety training aid to show ‘what to do correctly’ to prevent it happening again. The film posted seems to show that chocks were not fitted, a lashing chain was connected but sheared and the aircraft departed over the round-down without a towing arm attached; there is no actual information as to what was done incorrectly.

As previously posted, aircraft are fully secured at all times unless being positioned and there are well defined procedures for these events, as there are for replenishment at sea which to my knowledge rarely takes place in adverse weather or the possibility of adverse weather, neither is a RAS normally undertaken between launching and recovering of fixed wing aircraft.

I understand ‘shear pins’ may be installed on aircraft tow equipment to protect aircraft structure in extreme events, such as being blown overboard. If this is indeed what happened, the tug driver and aircraft brakeman were exceedingly lucky.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
960x0.pdf (45.3 KB, 22 views)