PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EMIRATES A380 BNE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2022, 00:17
PoppaJo

Received 294 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Lake1952
While there may not be a mystery as to WHAT happened, what are the possible ramifications of this event? What is the potential for more significant damage to the aircraft and its occupants?
Ramifications exist to pretty much any decision one makes, hardly unique to this one, all decisions have consequences, just need to work out which one isn't the worst. The Ramifications are more aligned to ones decision making.

I highly doubt inside the bay Airbus has installed infrastructure that could cause significant airframe issues should a wheel decide to cause problems. I don't believe much more significant damage would have occurred beyond this, however let the engineers answer that one.

If the cockpit could have seen the damage to the aircraft, I assume that they would have returned to DXB at that point in the flight
Landing at that weight is another problem in itself, especially if one has wheel problems. A380 rough sort of calculations, would be 8 hours holding to get to a weight that I would be comfortable with.

With the lack of info they had available, its either hold for 8 hours, or continue to BNE. First option you will never get in trouble for. I understand holding for such a timeframe is extremely unpopular with the punters down the back, and potential pressure from other pilots next to you against such a long winded hold, but I can't say I've ever seen a training department throw the book at someone for making that call.

Last edited by PoppaJo; 3rd Jul 2022 at 00:35.