PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G2 down in Switzerland - 15 June 2022
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2022, 07:32
Rotorbee

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Crab, you are right. I do not suggest in any way, how to stop the spinning in a Cabri. What I wonder is, why the Cabri starts spinning like crazy that fast and can not get stopped by pedal input or naturally by pointing the nose into the wind. My experience was just to explain, that in other helicopters, it does not happen that fast, if the tailwind and the resulting interaction with the down wash was the cause of the problem. If you are in that situation in a Cabri, I very much doubt that you are even able to react properly, unless you expect it to happen. In the Swiss video the pilot literally dove down and the spinning stopped and started again when he levelled out. That is why I do not exclude a mechanical problem. The whole thing is a complete mystery to me, including how to get out of it.
When I had my little incidents, I did not stay there just to find out, if I could go all the way round. Therefore I can not say, if it would have stopped by itself, once the nose got into the wind. Probably would have. A friend of mine flying a 206 at high altitude, between 10'000 and 12'000 and low airspeed (looking at the Eiger north face) did go around a couple of times and entered autorotation. No biggie since he had a lot of free air below. For that Cabri thing, I don't know how the get out of it and why it is so fast and violent. I would have thought that the tail fin would put up quite a resistance. For me, in my little brain - and I do not suggest that this actually happened - it looked like something reversed the pedals by magic and the fenestron pushed the Cabri around. That is only my imagination because I find the rate of spinning is beyond what physics should allow (just my thought on it, not what I think what could be the cause, because I do not have an idea, so don't fixate on it).