PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Families on flight decks?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2022, 17:19
S.o.S.
Son of Slot
Super Senior Moderator

Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
The most memorable FD experience was an 'ordinary' one but made memorable for a sad reason. I was in Scotland on a contract and due to travel south on the Friday 8th of June 2001.

I cannot recall how I got onto the flight deck, what I asked or said - I have no memory. That is because, on the Tuesday of that week, my father died. It was not unexpected as his heart had been failing for a couple of years. We were all glad for him that he went straight out by having 'the big one', rather than a minor heart attack and then the problems that brings. He was 78 and had served in the RAF (hence my interest in aviation) and, just two weeks earlier, he had said to my sister, "If I fall off the perch tomorrow, I won't mind as I've a wonderful life." and he did fall off his perch, as he was writing a letter at his desk, with all his marbles fully intact, when he crumpled to the floor. It was, of course, a big shock to all of us but we were all comfortable that, for him, it was simple.

That Friday evening, it was a 733 of EZY out of EDI and the guys up front were great. They asked if I'd been on a FD before and soon learnt that I was a seasoned Pax. I told them of my father's RAF experience and I was on the jump seat + headset for landing at LTN. I had not been on the FD for LTN before and that flight became special for Dad, as he always enjoyed hearing when I'd been able to get up front.