PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for my own LT?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2022, 09:34
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Since CEOs discovered that pilots will pay for their own training, I think most of us these days have paid for - or at least towards - our training in some way. Are there any places that pay for all their pilots' training, except the military?

Years ago I paid £3,000 for a Shorts 360 rating, a type in use by several UK airlines way back then, and that eventually got me my first job; flying the night mail. The thing is, flying a jet does need experience beyond knowing which buttons or levers to push - you ideally need experience in aviation operations before flying a jet; to help you stay ahead of the aircraft.
When one has been a safety pilot for new jet F/Os and seeing that "rabbit in the headlights" look on their faces during a normal, straightforward line flight - some were maxed-out, even before the push-back. It reminded me of my first days on line with the big boys !
Starting on a small turbo-prop gives you that grounding. Even military fast jet pilots start on small turbo-prop trainers.

But I would say paying for line training is probably going too far - on top of your MPL and type rating. I know you are desperate to get that first job, we all were, but there has to be a point where you stop spending money, otherwise you will put yourself on a treadmill - possibly working for terrible Ts & Cs that you have to stay on for most of your working life just to pay off your training.

I would keep writing to airlines; every airline you can think off. Chose your top 5 and keep writing to their chief pilots - every few months. Ask if you can visit their airline, see if anybody you know has any connection with any airline.

In the meantime, do what you can aviation-wise - but also work on an alternative job, just in case the flying never happens or doesn't happen for a few years. Being a pilot takes money, but also luck, in roughly equal quantities.

Good luck