PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New 'Bonza' LCC launches middle 2022 with B737 MAX
Old 20th Jun 2022, 10:55
43Inches

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts
Yep I'll agree with that, Australia and its worlds best practice dictates we have to reinvent a wheel thats been polished to a gleam overseas. However we don't really have cadetships here, we just have self sponsored training with direct entry positions or possibilities. The training is not particularly tailored to airline specifics, just an Australian CPL/MECIR with some fluff for tertiary compliance. To me you are not really a cadet until you are in the training program of the specific company, and on their payroll, in any other case you are just a student pilot paying their way through a training course. I think Rex might even be the only one that you are guaranteed a full time permanent EBA position at the end as well.

This conversation reminded me about the BEA Flight 548 accident. Where leading up to the accident there was a number of incidents involving low time co-pilots and Captains in heated discussions about their competency. Then further industrial disputes led to a vast gap between the senior captains and the co-pilot group with things being very tense. One of the disputes was the requirement for senior FOs to be safety pilots in essence to babysit the low time cadets, they would miss out on pay due to no stick time. Enough that it may have triggered a heart attack in Captain Key, and then incapacitation on take-off that led to the accident, although we will never know what actually happened on the flight it was clear Key had an argument with subordinates that was described basically as the most violent you could get without physical interaction.

Last edited by 43Inches; 20th Jun 2022 at 11:12.