PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar/Doha vs Emirates/Dubai (life and work)
Old 18th Jun 2022, 07:46
Taviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only tell you how my experience with the social life in QR is as a young FO (it makes a difference in layover life if youre a 60yo CPT that looks like he wants to eat the asian CC for breakfast or a young, european FO).

Cabin Crew call me "Sir", even though I tell them to call me by my (very easy to remember) name and a lot of them are older than me. They rarely engage in conversations when you're alone with them in the FD and they jump out the second they can. They often decide to call every 30 minutes instead of coming in to avoid the direct contact with us. Most of them use standard sentences and you know exactly what they gonna ask/tell you ahead. QR policy allows only the CSD (J boss), the CS (Y boss) and the designated FD CC enter the FD. Rarely its someone else, because they see it as a chore. Also, theyre only allowed to talk SAFETY TALK with us. No small talk allowed sir.
Dont get me wrong. They're all treating us nicely, but for most its because they have to. Same goes for layover. I've rarely had fun layovers where more than 2 people went out together, and most of the times it was with either an extremely gay cabin supervisor (I love them! They motivate the whole crew and break the ice between FD and CC easily) or when they were (most of the times eastern) european. But there's not many europeans left here. They run away, because QR treats them like hell. They lock them in and treats them like theyre 2yo children that can't even walk alone. Or, later you will find out they made plans that did not involve you, because they dont want you there or they assume you dont want to be with them. But of course there's also a small share of nice CC, that notice that you treat them equally and they appreciate it by involving you and spending time with you. This all is not only my experience, it goes the same for everyone I know. Like I said, sometimes you have really fun layovers, but in the 3 years I've spent here I can count those with one hand. If you want to have a social life on board, you're coming to the wrong place. Its you with the FO/CPT most of the times and thats it.

As I am commuting home on my days OFF, I cant tell you much about the life in Doha itself, but from the little experience I made,youre a person of second class here as a western expat (still better than the eastern expats though). They dont want you here and they make that clear very strongly.
I know this sounds very negative, but as mentioned before by some people, the stories on PPrune are real. Life is just like that in Doha. I came to terms with it and treat it only as a money making job. I'll get out as soon as I can, this is not my life.