PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar/Doha vs Emirates/Dubai (life and work)
Old 18th Jun 2022, 07:08
777JockeyIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing
The way I see it, the thing about these ME cities is that pretty much everybody is an expat. Most people are experiencing some level of professional success. This makes for a nice atmosphere where, if you end up building a nice secondary group of people to hang out with (friends), can make this potentially temporary life a very enjoyable if you're the kind of individual compatible with it. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who needs to be close to the same people who you've been hanging out for decades and can't build bonds with new people fast, then maybe none of these cities is for you. That's why some people hate living in the ME and some people just love it. That is not to say that it's impossible to make this a permanent experience. I know people who formed families while they were there and either left together or embraced the expat life and stayed there for good (bought property, started business, etc).

I have not visited Doha but my impression (could be wrong) is that it's a well developed city that doesn't have enough people to make it feel alive. European cities are like old jungles full of people of all kinds everywhere and have a life of their own. I feel that Dubai is reaching this "old" city feel while Doha could be more what Dubai used to be some 30 years ago. Again I could be wrong. The videos on "expats living in Doha" that I have seen, where the streets look completely empty have contributed to this perception.

If I was in my 30s I wouldn't hesitate to join any of these companies and I would still prefer Emirates for reasons that have been mentioned in this thread. Don't expect to join Fly Dubai and live like an Emirates pilot only because you'd also be living in Dubai.

Are you asking advise or Guiding others? If you are that sure about everything, go ahead and try it out yourself. Considering the strong passport you have, you wont lose much. Generally, If you come to Middle East, you gain something at the same time you lose too.