PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What did officers eat for lunch?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2022, 09:46
Old Bricks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Teufelsburg, Berlin - early 1980s. 26 SU shared top of a rubble mountain with the US military . Catering supplied by US Army - not renowned for Michelin-starred cuisine. One lunchtime, stood in queue at servery, wondering which delicacy should grace OB's lips. One item was colloquially known as "Sh*t on a Shingle", which was largely minced beef (?) on a hamburger bun. When my turn came, I asked whether I could have the beef, but not the bun. Locally employed Turkish man behind the counter says no. Menu item is beef on bun, so cannot have one without the other. Me - "But I don't want the bun, it will be wasted". Him - "No bun, no beef". Helpful american next in queue - "I'll have his bun". Him - "No way. Menu says beef on bun. You can't have 2 buns". End of conversation. Beef taken with bun, passed to american once we were out of sight of Him. Allied cooperation in action.
Once a year the RAF and Army chefs would take over the US catering facility on one day for lunch and produce the best of British cooking for both UK and US. Most popular day of the year - US military who were off-shift or even on local leave would flood the place to ear "proper".