PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair CEO telling crews to fly fatigued
Old 14th Jun 2022, 08:12
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
I don't know what the union situation is at Wizzair and others, but it is high time the union stepped in, grew some teeth and started taking positive action. Not just at Wizzair either.

Pleading that they hope the management will not penalise any pilots who report fatigued is just pathetic. It also puts the onus on individuals to take the very brave step of reporting fatigued. Following those comments by this CEO, all pilots should have been balloted on a series of 24 hour strikes.

Look at the railway union in the UK. They stand up for their members, and the members stand up for each other. (Train drivers training is paid for by the train operating companies, by the way). The pilots union has always been very weak, and they go along with most of what is thrown at them. Ditto the UK CAA.

The fact that we even have a fatigue reporting process is utterly ridiculous and bonkers. Pilots, of all people, should never be rostered anywhere near fatigue in the first place - they quite literally have the lives of 100 - 400 people in their hands.

I have often wondered whether the union management and airline pilot management and Company Council members have been secretly given lots of free benefits, e.g. free longhaul flights and holidays for their families by airlines to go along with whatever efficiencies the CEO wants to achieve.

In 2004 ish, I challenged the boss of Flybe about the number of 6 on 2 off duties we were doing but he just brushed it aside. Most were 4 sector days, we finished the 6 on lates, and started the next 6 on earlies, so our 2 days off was actually just over 1 day off, by the time we had recovered from the previous 6 days and had to go to sleep at about 1900 before the next 6 day duty. I stuck it out for 5 years then left, but too late - my marriage did not survive.

Come on union !! You are supposed to be protecting and standing up for your members, not helping the CEOs run their airlines. Get a grip and take some positive action. Our profession is halfway down the tubes already, you/we need to act now.