PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar/Doha vs Emirates/Dubai (life and work)
Old 10th Jun 2022, 09:15
HowardB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a passenger I cannot comment about QA, but as a long term resident of Doha who left at the start of the COVID pandemic, I can make a few comments.

On a day to day basis Doha is a easy place to live - plenty of decent shops, restaurants and traffic managements has improved dramatically. Drink & Pork products are available from QDC - accommodation is expensive but plenty of choice & cleaners are usually easy to arrange. The usual ME caveats apply - don't take out loans, & live with the frequent irritating random rule changes. In the medium term they want more Qataris working in "private" companies so there may be less opportunities for promotion.

Recreation wise, the opportunities to get out into the desert are quite limited these day - partly development and partly to many people trying to do the same. Plenty of opportunities for sport and some decent facilities as well. A good selection of schools for expats, but they are being relocated away from the older city areas so if you have children they may need to travel a considerable distance every day.

Would I choose to go back to live & work there if I wasn't almost 70 - yes!