PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2022, 19:11
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some misunderstanding here. I do NOT propose that MAG should build a seperate domestic terminal. From the outset of the TP (T2), it was envisaged that domestic flights would move to a dedicated section of that terminal, ideally located such that transfers within T2 and across to the legacy campus would be relatively seemless. A dedicated security channel within the existing set-up should also be an attainable objective. I'm asking them to prioritise an element of the existing T2 plan which seems to get pushed back indefinitely as if it were of no consequence. And we're not just talking about domestic business itself ... MAN saw a good deal of domestic to long-haul (and European) interline upto 2019. That underpins the viability of prestige long-haul operations as well.

I'm not suggesting that MAG needs to reinvent the wheel. Just do what they said they were going to do all along without yet more delay.

As for not spending more money on T1/T3, that is not a practical proposition if half the airport's customers are going to be using those facilities for years to come. If they were state-of-the-art already, one could pare spending back a bit. But they've had precious little invested in them for a decade now and it shows. We have to acknowledge that the replacement date for T1 in particular continues to slip, and I suspect that it will be with us for quite some time yet. So all of it's moving parts need to work. Lifts, escalators, travelators, toilets, toilet doors. All of it.

A little straw poll. How long do you think it will be before T1 really closes? Two years? Five years? Ten or more? Do you justify not maintaining your home for a decade because you plan to replace it in afew years' time? With millions of passenger journeys to support each year, you can't continue to do that with the tired structure that is T1.