PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force Dispersal/QRA Caravans/Buildings
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2022, 09:09
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Brookesy175
Slightly separated from the other buildings was an ablutions block with toilets, urinals, wash basins, showers and a small number of baths in individual cubicles. Were caravans perhaps the sleeping accommodation and the rest for daytime use? Or did the buildings replace the caravans at some point? I have tried to upload some images but so far without success. Please keep the info coming.
The caravans were a bit smaller than a shipping container and divided into 5 separate compartments, doors all on the same side. IIRC there windows on the door and to the rear with external covers that hinged at the bottom. Internally they were sparse with a single fitted bunk and small doorless alcove for hanging clothes and storing kit. They may have had a wash basin but I can't remember, but as you correctly surmise there were normally showers and other facilities in the huts or close by. They did have an electric heater that was of sufficient power to set alight to an immersion suit. We found that out one night at Finningley. The alerting sytem varied from hooters, the dispersal ops crew banging on the door, or at Wyton, large electric bells with rotating hammers that vibrated the whole structure when they were activated.

Meals could be prepared on site at some locations or in the normal aircrew feeder at others. I also recall going to the mess on some occaisons.

They were basic, but adequate for a couple of nights or so. I think the novelty might have worn of after 28 days in winter.

YS