PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force Dispersal/QRA Caravans/Buildings
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2022, 15:14
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't help much, but caravans were the form of accomodation at Finningley where they were located (IIRC) on a hardstanding to the north of the 02 end of the runway. The dispersal ops hut was co-located. At Wyton too caravans were used, located close to the station operations block on the main site. However, the dispersal ops and crewroom site was on the north side of the runway, north of the taxiway at about the midpoint. I recall being dispersed to Coningsby in the early 1970s. The ops room and aircraft were on the south side, probably where one of the HAS complexes is now. I can't remember where we were accomodated at Coningsby, but supect it was caravans close to the aircraft. Kinloss has the Strike Force Dispersal (SFD), the large hardstanding on the north side. Just to the east of the SFD was a collection of tatty wooden huts that served as the ops and domestic area for the dispersal. In the early 1980s, they were used to accomodate the Nimrod OCU during its sojourn at Kinloss. Going even futher back in time, the site to the south of the 26 threshold at Cranwell was designated as a Valiant dispersal and for a while as an operating base for USAFE F4s. Gaydon retained a dispersal committment whilst the Nav School was there, although I never saw it exercised. The ops room and "Dingley Dell" switchboard was behind the Nav School buildings, there may have been some caravans there as well.
Happy days!
YS