PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Hold Pool
Thread: Jet2 Hold Pool
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2022, 18:33
Whitemonk Returns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorwills
Who are you trying to kid.
Rubbish, I know of many FR crew over the last 10 years or so, that complain about base transfers. The talk about rosters of FR and five day 4 sector days, are so far away from reality. Don't see much about the days at Jet2 on airport standby, sat in uniform in a crew room for endless hours, has that finished? don't think so.
The Ryan 5 on 4 off is a brilliant roster. Looking at their bases and flights from the outside and the extrapolating duty hours you can clearly see it's a winner in anyones book. Do the maths!

I can understand members coming on here and sticking up for their respective employers but let's not sugar coat everything. What I see is clear misinformation spread by posters. Have to say in particular, the threads on Jet2.
Can we have more balanced and reasonable posts, please.

All companies have issues, but let's try and portray a more realistic approach of information to potential candidates entering into aviation or others looking to move new pastures. Yes, they are not always as green as portrayed on this site. Be warned!
You responded to what I think was my balanced take that I personally don't like the RYR roster hence why I don't work there but that I understand it suits others with your argumentative posts. If the 5/4 at RYR was so fantastic we would all be clamouring to work there... But we are not. You were probably one of the ones telling everyone who could listen that those multi year pay cuts you all got were for the benefit of the pilots. Yeah right dude they are selling bridges down by the TUI ticket sales desks.

Anyway, back on topic I would like to throw Rotor and his mate a bone and dispel one myth about Jet2 that has always bothered me. This 6 month to command thing is probably the biggest issue with new joiners falling out with the company after they have joined. Let me dispel it, it will not happen. Let me play it out:

You apply tomorrow June 22 and are successful and are offered the first course October 22. You are two months going through ground school and simulator training, add another two months if NTR. Now you need a security pass... Have you seen the news? OK it's gone well for you and you have your training complete and pass in hand ready for line training in February, oh but there are not many flights until March/April, have a couple of weeks off. You get your FLC passed May 1st. Now you wait 6 months to put in your command application, it's November 1st 2022. That takes a month to process and now you need a three day CPC course, but it's Christmas and the next one is February 2023. You get on it and it goes well, great, Command Assessment in March, you pass, we'll done again now you go into the hold pool which is not seniority based but done by date of joining. So you are last in the pool in April. Email comes out, summer is going to be really busy we need all hands on deck, no upgrades until after the summer season. OK fair enough at least you are in the pool, top of the list starts to get courses in October, but you want to be based in Belfast, or Manchester or Birmingham? No problem, but we have a course for you in January to be based in Glasgow and we will try and get you back to your choice ASAP (and to be fair to them, they will). So now you have a choice to make. You take the command course in January and your FLC is passed in late March 2024, congratulations your based in Glasgow until March 2025. This is not a fantasy scenario, I know people in this situation who have been with the company years.

Oh, now imagine your initial course isn't in October 22 it's in April 23.

Oh and the Covid Monkeypox strain is hiding behind those TUI check in desks along with Rotors bridges...

Jokes aside, it is a good job, probably the best one going in the UK right now, but nowhere is perfect so if you can survive the above then you should apply. Best of luck.