PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2022, 16:50
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
I flew 3 sorties 30/31 May as the GR3 attempting to designate with our LRMTS for LGBs - before we found out that it wasn't going to work!!

One was with a SHAR throwing the LGBs, and two were with GR3s dropping them in a more gentlemanly fashion.

Apart from the SHAR tossing them, I flew in at some 35,000' a distance behind the dropper. At the appropriate time, I went into a 30 deg dive from 35k or higher, and switched on the LRMTS. I had to stop designating and recover above 20,000' to keep out of the shark infested custard below. Unfortunately, our cunning plan didn't work for technical reasons, which we now know, but didn't at the time.

To reduce my downward speed in a 30 deg dive over the airfield, and to increase the time I was able to fire the LRMTS, I put the nozzles into the braking stop, and gently increased the engine rpm. Great idea, except for one occasion - in my enthusiasm to designate for as long as possible, I got very close to my minimum height for recovery, and increased the engine rpm to escape quickly. The aircraft started to vibrate and feel a bit squirly, and I thought "Oh dear, not a good time or place to have an engine failure". Then I remembered to put the nozzles aft, and all worked as it was supposed to. Sorry RR for thinking for a brief moment that your wonderful engine had gone wrong - it hadn't, and it was all my fault!