PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI airways-2
Thread: TUI airways-2
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2022, 13:52
ATNotts

Received 275 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Flights cancelled doesn't necessarily mean holidays lost - you're assuming all flights are full and there is no scope to consolidate onto other flights, even if it means changes of day/airports, etc
And much more likely change of destination. That won't matter to many who don't mind where they go as long is its hot and sunny but will pee off anyone who booked to say Santorini because they wanted to go there. Crete might be a rather poor alternative for them!

The situation this summer is a nightmare, and I would imagine many people will be thinking long and hard about booking a package holiday next summer - even if they aren't already because of they size of their utility and food bills. Summer 2023 may not look too pretty, not just for TUI but for the whole package tour industry, and possibly also for independent travel.

I think that in some regard the government, in essentially giving the (false) message that Covid-19 was over, has lulled holidaymakers and operators into a false sense of security. The UK government isn't the only one of course but it did make one heck of a song and dance about lifting restrictions, and anecdotally I am currently seeing many more people wearing masks once again in shops, suggesting that perhaps they are going out and about while infected, or they are seeing more infections in their own circles of friends and relatives and are once again taking precautions off their own bats. Personally I haven't encountered anyone who is knowingly infected for a few months now.