PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-3
Thread: Gatwick-3
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2022, 09:44
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vectisman
I am of the opinion that is is an error. These flights maybe those which Virgin had the slots for if they had returned to Gatwick.
The CEO made it quite clear a few weeks ago that Virgin had no plans to run to Gatwick in 2022. Very non committal for 2023 too. In fact they may find it hard to ever come back if BA continue to expand their Caribbean and North American routes, plus Norse International setting up shop. Personally I believe with Heathrow becoming more expensive they may lose some of their competitive edge when trying to attract some of their former Gatwick leisure customers back who may be more price sensitive. However that’s just a personal view
Pre-Covid they were sending up to 5 or 6 wide bodies a day to leisure destinations from Gatwick. Not all of that market will follow them to Heathrow. BA is maintaining double daily to Orlando for example from Gatwick this Summer plus another daily from Heathrow. Their Caribbean flights are very profitable too. Plus somewhere like Cancun is now daily year round which is an increase from 2019.
I would like to know what Virgin have done with their Gatwick slots. We know that BA have leased some of theirs out until they are required again but I can see nothing concerning Virgin. Have they simply given them up? I have asked on several other forums but no information has been forthcoming.
I think the CEO mentioned recently that they still have ownership of their slot portfolio at LGW, as confirmed in this recent article:
https://simpleflying.com/virgin-atla...k-return-2022/

"Traditionally, we have flown leisure routes out of Gatwick. We have slots at Gatwick and we would like to think there is an opportunity for Gatwick. But it’s not this year."

What VS are doing with them in the interim, however, largely remains unknown. Presumably leasing them to another carrier at LGW, but not sure which one? Would definitely love to know more.