PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2022, 22:38
MAINJAFAD

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogwi
Average CAP sortie was c1hr 20mins with several being 1hr 30. Cruise fuel flow was c100lbs/min at low level and half that at 20k. Fuel flow at endurance speed was somewhat less. Full grongly was about double that with a fuel load of 6600 lbs. Haven’t ever heard of a bomb fusing on the aeroplane and I don’t think that this was considered as a cause. The premature fusing of a KFF with would be highly improbable due to the requirement for the arming vane safety pin to be removed by the lanyard attached to pylon, which was clinched tightly to the pylon.

One problem we had with the VT(radar) fuses was “laddering” where subsequent bombs fused on the one ahead. A bit arse-clenching but fun for the rest of the formation to watch! Don’t think it ever happened on Corporate. That still required the arming lanyard to be pulled and the arming vane to operate for the required number of revolutions before the fuse armed.

Most probable cause of GB’s demise was judged to be disorientation. Ramp launch into a dark night, especially if the HUD dumped, could be pretty disorientating. Also, turning the nav lights off after launch (often done for a night mission) required you to look down under your left elbow to find the switch. This could be quite hazardous, especially if you were in a low level turn at the time! I was supposed to be flying that mission but take-off was delayed until after dark on the orders of the captain, so I was not qualified to go.

Mog
Morts has his own option on what happened to GB's jet on that night, covered in a talk he did to the Royal Aeronautical Society at RNAS Yeovilton just before lockdown.