PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2022, 22:09
Mogwi

Received 372 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by sandiego89
Mog, Ex-fast jets, all, fascinating stuff thank you.

A question about fuel management and sortie duration on the Harrier and Sea Harrier. Mog, what would have been your longest duration mission down South? 1.2 hours perhaps? What would be your loiter speed be on a CAP at 8,000 feet? I recognize the situation dictates the CAP altitude, but would fuel burn on a CAP at 8,000 feet be significantly more than say at 25K feet? Regarding the tragic G.B. hit the water incident, I have heard some rumor that it could have been a detonating dumb bomb (free wheeling bomb fuse). While we will likely never know the exact circumstances, has there been additional thought on that?

Ex fast jets- similar question, how much time could a GR.3 spend aloft? What was your longest GR.3 sortie during the conflict? (minus the rear numbing long ferry flights), Shortest?
Average CAP sortie was c1hr 20mins with several being 1hr 30. Cruise fuel flow was c100lbs/min at low level and half that at 20k. Fuel flow at endurance speed was somewhat less. Full grongly was about double that with a fuel load of 6600 lbs. Haven’t ever heard of a bomb fusing on the aeroplane and I don’t think that this was considered as a cause. The premature fusing of a KFF with would be highly improbable due to the requirement for the arming vane safety pin to be removed by the lanyard attached to pylon, which was clinched tightly to the pylon.

One problem we had with the VT(radar) fuses was “laddering” where subsequent bombs fused on the one ahead. A bit arse-clenching but fun for the rest of the formation to watch! Don’t think it ever happened on Corporate. That still required the arming lanyard to be pulled and the arming vane to operate for the required number of revolutions before the fuse armed.

Most probable cause of GB’s demise was judged to be disorientation. Ramp launch into a dark night, especially if the HUD dumped, could be pretty disorientating. Also, turning the nav lights off after launch (often done for a night mission) required you to look down under your left elbow to find the switch. This could be quite hazardous, especially if you were in a low level turn at the time! I was supposed to be flying that mission but take-off was delayed until after dark on the orders of the captain, so I was not qualified to go.

Mog