PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2003, 22:18
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEags

You remarked that unlike some, you still won't talk about:

1. The weapon
2. The target
3. The procedures

I am genuinely interested in why, although if you don't want to say then a 'no comment' by you is fine as well.

It seems to me that what went on with the V Force has no possible connection with any events of today or tomorrow. All the equipment is out of service and there are no links to present weapons.

A great deal of what went on at that time to safeguard our capabilities and nuclear safety - and what safety that was - was very effectively carried out by people who really believed in what they did - despite the odd hilarious incident such as you describe - and so I feel there is merit and value in seeing their efforts properly recorded and understood by today's generation.

Indeed if you want to look at the inside of a 177 you can do so at Boscombe's museum. As an aside I have never seen such high quality wiring which is perhaps why all that stuff was SO reliable, in fact because the RN wanted to use a 177 variant the SHAR inboard pylons had to be permanently attached to the wing in manufacture in order to meet the reliability specs. So you have never seen a SHAR FRS 1 with a clean wing. Don't know if the FA2s have been changed by St Athan.