PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 231 20 December DXB IAD near crash?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2022, 18:22
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dropp the Pilot
"To hear a fellow pilot scoff at the idea of hand flying what looks like a pretty basic SID does not sit well for me"

So sorry to dissappoint you. I've lost a lot of sleep over your
disapproval so may be I better say it again.

Go-around? Engage the autopilot.
SID from LHR/CDG/VIE/LAX/JFK and the like? Engage the autopilot.
Somebody got lost inside the FMC and has to deselect the ILS for 30R, replace the STAR, change to 30L and also go direct BINGO? Engage the autopilot.
Non-normal? Engage the autopilot

I think the most bums on board I ever had was 473. 434 adults, 18 crew and 21 infants. I am certain that if you canvassed each and everyone of them individually precisely zero would be interested in how often I got to practice putting the aircraft symbol on the PFD in perfect alignment with the FD, reconfirming to myself that yes, indeed, it takes 63% N1 and 5 degrees pitch to maintain level flight with Flaps 5. Just like the QRH says. Just like it has been for the last 21,000 hours my taut buttocks have been sitting there.
No experience with LHR, CDG or VIE, but the last time I flew out of LAX and JFK, the AP wasn’t on until the mid 20’s. There’s nothing particularly demanding about those SIDs.

For your second example where the STAR and runway have to be changed, I’m inclined to agree with you. But if it’s a case where you’re on the approach to 30R and ATC says to sidestep to 30L, that’s absolutely a case where the AP hinders more than helps.