PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 734 hard landing @ Exeter
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2022, 15:37
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Time Traveller
In recent years I've encountered new pilots who have extraordinary perceptions, which they say they were taught during training - about how to salvage a landing which is going a bit pear shaped.
One is to add a surge of thrust just prior to touchdown; normally that's just makes for a very fast and long touchdown, and sometimes PIO in the past couple of feet trying to force the gear to touch.
And the worst - to actually push on the yoke when coming down too fast!!! Now this lead to the only hard landing I've ever been the crew for. And a sudden push at 20' is almost impossible for the captain to catch! He swore blind a trainer taught him this; of course it's crazy. (I think it comes from the theory in long wide bodies, where I tiniest relaxation of the back pressure at about 2' was the way to get a super smooth touch (it does), and he claimed he was told increasing pitch slightly pushes the gear towards the runway making it worse - nonsense of course - the mains are close to the pitch axis, and that effect is dwarfed by the massively increased touchdown descent rate by pushing) - No!; faced with excessive sink rate crossing the threshold - flying 101 ... PULL to moderate the descent rate (if the speed is adequate) ... or go around.
Anyway, both elements seem to be in this incident.
It is a nasty little technique.... it has remained around from the MD80 and B727 which could benefit from an initial flare and then a slight de-flare. The risks on the method are enormous, Doing an analysis of what the wheels sink rate does in a de-flare gives zero comfort as a procedure to avoid a hard landing. forward stick may help a P51 or T6 wheel landing to plant the gear, but otherwise is high risk.