PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Salary Review Time Again
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2022, 13:29
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 154 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Going the Extra Mile
I trust your above post is an attempt to garner a response regarding the way this company treats its employees, so for the benefit of those who might not understand your sarcasm, let me enlighten them. If, on the other hand, your post is genuine, then I am happy that you are back where you belong.

For those who came in with previous experience expecting a quick command, I’d say they’d be pretty naive to still be expecting that now. If anybody is still in doubt as to Emirates management’s ethics then I can only assume that they have been living in a cave since before COVID was first reported. The only position you hold with that company is the one you wake up with today. It might change tomorrow - you might get upgraded, you might even get downgraded if you are a skipper in the wrong place at the wrong time and there needs to be some face saving, or you might even be relieved of your services altogether. To “expect” anything beyond this - certainly the expectation of a to a quick command due to a promise - would be to demonstrate a lack of understanding of how this company manages and treats its employees.

Emirates have demonstrated time and time again by their actions that your level of experience does not require any recognition from them - you are but a bum on a seat to fly one of their aircraft . Indeed, one could surmise that how one is treated is inversely related to your years of experience. Many experienced men (and women) were let go by the airline, indeed some of the first to go during COVID were the over 60’s and those with 20+ years of experience. If anybody thinks or feels that they are owed anything by this company due to their experience (regardless of whether that experience was gained inside or outside of the company) then I respectfully suggest taking a reality check.

From my impressions of previous pay reviews, the company does not base this on your input to achieving their goals - it will simply be an amount (possibly zero, possibly not) that the company feels it can pay whilst retaining enough pilots to operate the aircraft. If one has thoughts about it recognising a delayed command upgrade then again, I respectfully suggest anybody with those thoughts to take a reality check. Indeed, you might even get a 3% step increase which is called a pay rise, along with a free ticket.

”Emirates have brought back the best and cleaned out house” … now, for anybody without the ability to grasp sarcasm, perhaps this should be expanded upon. Some of “the best” have been lucky enough (and smart enough) to not have had to return to Emirates. I’m not sure I’d be so arrogant to group myself with “the best” but I am one of many who have chosen not to return. There are those who have found alternative employment which has brought into contrast just how tired they felt at Emirates, just how little quality time they got to spend with their families, just how suffocating they felt the management culture was (think getting time off to attend weddings and funerals), just how difficult it was to get a day off they wanted, just how threatening they felt the company communications were, just how worrying it could be to not know if your family medical bills would be honoured by the “company insurance” - so again, for anybody who has difficulties grasping the nuances of sarcasm, let’s just say that “the best” might have returned, but some of the smartest haven’t.

The airline will, in my opinion, always be what it is, a company with a third world management culture trying to masquerade as a first rate company. After all, the company is very good at PR, so masquerading as something that it actually is not probably comes quite easily. Once one has the benefit of working elsewhere AFTER Emirates, then this becomes very clear (atleast I can say it has in my experience).

The “best” may we’ll have returned to Emirates - the above post is certainly a prescient demonstration that they are back where they belong. Some of the smartest have chosen not to.

Good luck to all - especially those still out of work!
Excellent post. For the record .. my new employer and my UNION.. just did a pay review.. which resulted in a $10000 AUD a year pay rise with a 8 month back date . This pay rise is on base pay.. with penalty rates.. it’s a lot more.

And I’m home every night.. with no jet lag.