PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncontrolled yaw on Agusta 119 air ambulance in South Africa.
Old 14th May 2022, 11:02
SASless

Received 500 Likes on 208 Posts
It seems we are seeing these events in more than one Make and Model of helicopter....and as in the current event the symptoms seen dramatic and persistent rather than just one stroke and in one direction.

If it was an AFCS problem....Pilot input by use of the Tail Rotor Pedals should have overridden the AFCS Input and should have ended with the turning the AFCS to OFF.

Has the design of modern day AFCS systems given the AFCS the ability to match or exceed a Pilot Input using the Pedals?

Not having a Sperry Helipilot AFCS Manual at hand....memory tells me the AFCS only had something like a 20% authority and was easily overridden by flight control input.

If the installed AFCS system is similar to that....it would suggest it is not the AFCS in the current event in OZ. (at least in my thinking).

I would think it was hydraulic system related rather than AFCS.....again if my thinking is appropriate for the installed AFCS on the aircraft in OZ.

The description of the event shows a really "interesting" ride on that Roof Top Pad which lasted some period of time.