PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The death of the KAL contract
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2022, 20:00
Soulless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franky,

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. Most of the jobs in the US are the highest paying in the world now. Atlas, Kallita, low costs, majors, have all raised their pay substantially. Yes, the regionals are lagging, but they have come up and are being forced to off bonuses of $40 and even up to $80k to join. I tend to think regional management has their heads up their proverbial butts, as this doesn’t solve the structural problems, just delays the inevitable.

In Canada, I also think you’re mistaken. Yes AC won’t have problems filling mainline seats, but everyone else will and already is. Just ask around about Flair, Lynx, Swoop, the regionals. They won’t be able to keep up once all the restrictions are over. The lowest rungs will suffer the most, obviously. Looks south of the border again and you see companies like Breeze having to pay DECs on a A220 $168/hour. That’s pretty good money for a low cost/regional hybrid.

As for Asia, I can tell you CX, KE and many others are operating on skeleton crews. Once the chiefs decide to try and operate all their tails, they’re going to get the shock of their lives. Could it balance in the long run? It could, but I don’t think there’s a massive surplus of experienced aviators sitting around. There’s still retirements, medical loss and other small issues that aggravate it. What could save them? A massive global recession that derails the recovery. That’s not good for them either.

I’ve been sidetracked though. The reality is that the KAL contract is being spit on by KAL and has all but been thrown away. Let’s hope they remove their heads from their a$$ses and get back on track and start caring about the humans working for them.

I can dream, can’t I?