PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination and Prejudice alive and well in the RAF
Old 8th May 2022, 13:15
Toadstool

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardJones
2. The RAF is trying to be and recruit more diverse people. This is nothing to do with quotas, but is about ensuring that we get to choose the best people from as wide a sphere as possible.

Thread drift, if I may.

The above is interesting.

What is the RAF requirement for selection as aircrew, for example, as far as academic qualifications are concerned? Quite high I would expect. So those who don't make the cut, are weeded out before any aptitude for flying, is considered. This doesn't fit with your comment above.

Dragged up in a poor family I left school at 15, knowing up to 12 x table. I went the self improver route, and was flying professionally at 20. UK ATPL 1978, at 26. I classed myself as an aviator, not a mathematician. I'm not implying I would have made it into the RAF on flying ability. However I would not even qualify to enroll at a ATO now.
I mentioned diversity, not aptitude but, of course the RAF (Officers and Aircrew) expects a certain standard and aptitude to be met before additional selection with CBAT and OASC. This is before they even get to phase one trg.

APPLICANTS MUST:

• Be aged 17.5 – 23 years old (Must enter IOT before 24th birthday)
  • Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or SNE at Grade 5 or SCE Standard Grades at Grade 2/SNE 5 in English and Maths and at least three other subjects. Have at least 2 A2 Levels/3 Highers at Grade C or above (excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking or Citizenship Studies) which must total a minimum of 64 UCAS points
  • Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or holder of dual UK/ other nationality
  • Commit to minimum 12 years service
  • Meet the health and fitness criteria
  • Pass a Fitness test - Details below
  • Candidates must be able to swim - see details below

Last edited by Toadstool; 8th May 2022 at 13:28.