PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ROE's and Tactical Dogma Unintended Consequences
Old 7th May 2022, 16:07
SASless

Received 508 Likes on 211 Posts
ROE's and Tactical Dogma Unintended Consequences

Nutty made this post in an on-going thread and while looking for the linked video it gave me reason to think back on the subject of the video....that being an ass kicking the US Army took near Kabala one night when a fleet of AH-64 Apaches encountered a very strong and innovative defense by the Iraqi's.

Sasless have you watched this? https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80216003

Bar being a total screw up in many ways, it struck me the female in the front of one of them wasn't giving her pilot accurate situation information... she could see the rounds coming at them, where as he couldn't and she seemed not to grasp the idea of telling him from where and the direction.. it was compounded by the stupidity of telling the crews before the off their footage would be gone through with surgical precision to ensure they only engaged active targets, thus making them second guess themselves whether to open fire or not, even when taking rounds they were asking should I fire?
The "rest of the story" about that night is very interesting....how the Iraqi's improvised their tactics to counter the US Army use of darkness....using Cellphones and a unified control of surface lighting to expose the hovering Apaches......an American Tactic coming from its employment strategy countering Russian Armor moving through the Fulda Gap in Germany.

Add to that the insistence upon strict adherence to the published ROE's which granted little or no discretion to the Army Crews.

If we take an honest look back over time....we can see other similar failures to abandon poor tactical concepts that in peace time are foreseen (falsely) to be the way of the future.

Those failures lead to loss of life and equipment.

I saw first hand how that could work while flying helicopters in Vietnam....back during the early days of "Air Mobile Operations" which morphed into "Air Assault" with mottos like "Death From Above" and "Land On Top Of The Enemy".

Landing formations of helicopter right smack dab on top of well armed, well prepared, aggressive and dedicated enemy troop formations.....now whatever could possibly go wrong with that kind of thing?

Another example was this Apache Raid that went so wrong.....early on here at this Forum I admonished our Apache Drivers to rethink the Hover and Shoot Tactic....as it might have its place in the Tool Box....but it would not be how a War in the Desert would be fought and be successful and that in time they would find themselves returning to the old fashioned "Shoot and Scoot" method of doing Gun Runs while being provided covering fire from Wingmates more often than they would employ the Hover and Shoot method.

The RAF learned low level high speed runs dropping bombs on Runways came at a very high cost and it would alter its tactics to going back to mid-level heights and cut their losses as a result.

Not so long ago we had a thread about American efforts to drop some bridges in North Vietnam, all of which failed, until Precision Bombs were invented then the bridge got dropped and aircraft losses were prevented.

Today in Ukraine we see the Russians struggling to cope with a very dedicated and innovative Ukraine Military.

The lack of foresight and demonstrated inability of Military Forces to see the fallibility in its planning for future wars is not limited to any one Nation or single branch of the Armed Forces.

It does make you wonder why we see it time after time.....and pay such a price in Lives and Equipment.