PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2022, 08:01
Mogwi

Received 372 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by AndySmith
Hi Mogs

This somewhat optimistic video was recently released on Youtube regarding the 1st May attack by your squadron. Whilst it is in Spanish, for those who aren't speakers it is possible to watch it with subtitle on, and then on the settings you can select auto-translate and then English from the list.

It identifies the location of some of the AAA sites and interviews with some of those that were shooting. Obviously, they're pretty sure they shot down some aircraft, including on that impacted into the sea 300m from the beach - but at least it gives you an idea. Did the Tartan section really get that close with the loft bombing and come under fire Mogs? I do happen to know some members of that unit who don't have such rose tinted glasses - and and put the exaggerated claims down to inexperience. A Marine tigercat crew also optimistically claimed a shoot down that several of their team claim to have witnessed crashing - and I'd like to have several pints of what they were drinking - the Tigercat was fired from further down near the ESRO station at the far end of the harbour - so fat chance... anyway - it's interesting viewing in spite of the optimism. I was going to send you the link by email - but might as well share it here.

The alternative reality of 1st May

As you know, Mogs, not everyone from that area of south america is so distorted.

Cheers

Andy
Many thanks for the vid, Andy. I need to get a grandchild to explain how to get the translation but just looking at it there certainly appears to be some “fog of war” going on. The “tossers” wouldn’t have got closer that 2.5 miles during the attack, so a good Roland shot, but not any good for guns. The attack headings/ timings are a bit random and obviously, we know that I was the only one hit.

On the positive side, I reckon it might have been fire-point 6 that hit me and I did have a Tigercat cross my nose, right to left, chasing Bertie P down the runway.

Interesting day!

Mog