PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots wearing medal ribbons on tunic
Old 5th May 2022, 18:57
777fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I began my commercial flying career as a 250 hr sprog second officer in BEA back in the late 60's. A majority of the training captains at that time were ex WW2 military and most wore a row of medal ribbons next to their uniform wings. It was the same in BOAC, so it must have been airline policy in the UK at the time for such decorations to be worn. It certainly impressed me, and no doubt the passengers as well. Many also sported a silver badge called the 'Queens Commendation for Valuable Services in the Air'. I believe that this was awarded for 25 years of airline service or for some other extraordinary airborne achievement. Almost to a man, these very distinguished gentlemen failed to reveal what they had been through, to earn those decorations. One only came to know, from crew room chat, about their wartime exploits. They, and any one who has ever put their life on the line in the service of their country, surely deserved to be recognised for the risk, bravery and service required, when in airline uniform.
The wearing of medal ribbons with civil airline uniform did seem to fade away as the WW2 veterans retired, but I feel that veterans of more recent conflicts deserve the same recognition. And no, I was never in the military.