PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands 40
Thread: Falklands 40
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2022, 17:55
AndySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogwi
Hi Sandy,

There were a fair number of 202s around the airfield (and Oerlikon 35 mm) but only one survives today, to the north of the strip. I think that one was too far north to have been the one responsible, more likely to be one a bit east of the tower. No, I have never found out who the operator was but as you say, I have met and made friends with a number of Argentine vets as well as the son of one of the Skyhawks we shot down on 8th June.

Can’t see that happening after the present furore in Ukraine.

Mog
Hi Mogs

This somewhat optimistic video was recently released on Youtube regarding the 1st May attack by your squadron. Whilst it is in Spanish, for those who aren't speakers it is possible to watch it with subtitle on, and then on the settings you can select auto-translate and then English from the list.

It identifies the location of some of the AAA sites and interviews with some of those that were shooting. Obviously, they're pretty sure they shot down some aircraft, including on that impacted into the sea 300m from the beach - but at least it gives you an idea. Did the Tartan section really get that close with the loft bombing and come under fire Mogs? I do happen to know some members of that unit who don't have such rose tinted glasses - and and put the exaggerated claims down to inexperience. A Marine tigercat crew also optimistically claimed a shoot down that several of their team claim to have witnessed crashing - and I'd like to have several pints of what they were drinking - the Tigercat was fired from further down near the ESRO station at the far end of the harbour - so fat chance... anyway - it's interesting viewing in spite of the optimism. I was going to send you the link by email - but might as well share it here.

As you know, Mogs, not everyone from that area of south america is so distorted.

Cheers

Andy