PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination and Prejudice alive and well in the RAF
Old 5th May 2022, 13:24
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland Pulfrew
I'm afraid that is a gross over-simplification of the argument. Just because 14% of the UK population is BAME, does not mean that the selection is done on appearance. I do not know the statistics for BAME aptitude scores, but I do know that aptitude score distribution curves are very different between male and female. That suggests that either the aptitude tests are sexist, or there is a physiological difference between the sexes. We should be selecting the best people for the job, and if that only means taking the best at [insert characteristic here], and that excludes other parts of the population, then so be it.
or the aptitude was designed for 18-21 year old males as the “norm”, a long time ago and haven’t been upgraded…

”best” is generally subjective, and absolutely subject to conservative bias, sunk cost fallacies, and cultural barriers to change.

put it this way, if F-35 were the only basis for selection, the test would be different to selection for GR7/FA2…