PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination and Prejudice alive and well in the RAF
Old 3rd May 2022, 18:32
Red Line Entry

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, some lovely views here:
I guess I’m largely blind to all this cr@p.
Can we imagine how badly we would do if we selected ... on the basis of appearance rather than performance?
Currently, 3.3% of the RAF is BAME (source at Linky), whereas across the UK population, 14% are BAME. So the fact is WE DO SELECT BY APPEARANCE - because too many BAME individuals who would be great in the RAF do not apply in the first place. Why don't they apply? Because they don't perceive themselves as welcome, they don't see any role models who look like them, and when they do see RAF pilots in the spotlight, they normally see someone who is white and male.

This is not about denigrating those of us who are white blokes (I'm one) - it's about making the effort to show that we want people from all backgrounds. Not because it's woke, but because it means we can then select the very best talent from those who do apply. And because then we can be better at doing that non-woke thing that we primarily exist for: killing the Queen's enemies!