PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination and Prejudice alive and well in the RAF
Old 3rd May 2022, 08:45
SpamCanDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Line Entry
I disagree with the lot of you. Joe Public tends to think that an RAF pilot is indeed male and white - and that is, in the majority of cases, true. Consequently, we don't get, proportionally, sufficient applications from those who are not male and white. However, if we want to be the most effective, lethal, and capable force that we can be, then we need the best talent applying, regardless of gender, creed or colour. So it is entirely sensible to make an effort to get Joe Public to realise that we recruit wider than just white males. This (poorly worded) is part of the effort to do this.

So get the hell off the outrage bus, you antediluvian relics!
I respectfully disagree.
If any other characteristics were used apart from "White" & "Male" this would of been rightly been slammed as discriminatory.
Do we see campaigns where female nurses & primary teachers are banned, to encourage more males into the profession for example?
I understand its PR, so the RAF are perfectly within their rights to select the person best suited to project the image they want.
But that should be done by selecting the best person for the job from the willing candidates, not by excluding specific groups.
Not to mention it completely undermines all the women who have worked their arses off to become a pilot in the RAF. By perpetuating the myth that women have been selected purely based on their sex, rather than their skill set.

Im all for ensuring that everyone has an equal chance at getting the role & encouraging more women into flying.
But discrimination is discrimination

Men & Women do generally have different interests and thus even given the same opportunities, there will always be imbalance in different professions.
Saying an organisation is inherently biased against one sex because there isn't a 50/50 M/F split, is simplistic nonsense