PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 29th Apr 2022, 14:38
zzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whole thing is a dogs dinner from start to finish.
It starts with the decision to manually fly the approach after a 2-crew night flight when the viz is low and the cloud base is just above Cat 1 decision height. What follows is a localiser deviation, caused either by the PF or the localiser signal itself. The PM at some point starts to make un-announced control column inputs and a go around is flown from around 1000’. Plenty of time to perhaps rehearse the go around actions before pushing TOGA. TOGA is then pushed but there’s no call for a flap change despite having landing flap set. After about 20 secs the PF notices a positive climb and puts the gear up. What’s PM doing at this point? The gear goes up whilst we still have landing flap and we get the config warning. Not ideal during a busy period. The PF over pitches to 24 degrees and the PM instead of clearly taking control pushes the other way and we get a control column breakout/disconnect. Other stuff going on too, second TOGA push for example but that’s the nuts and bolts of it. A total shambles.

What would I have done differently. I’d have started by suggesting to the FO that maybe today wasn’t the day to practice his hand flying skills. If it was going wrong on the approach I’d have suggested putting in the AP and going around. Failing that “I have control” as a last resort.

It would be interesting to know the relative experience levels of the two pilots. Older and more experienced First Officers can make for an interesting dynamic.

l guess we will know in due course!

Last edited by zzz; 29th Apr 2022 at 19:06.