PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern 737-800 MU5735 accident March 2022
Old 28th Apr 2022, 17:06
A-3TWENTY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
After the MAS disappearance which has become a bit of a 'landing on the moon' conspiracy event in E Asia, PRC implemented 4D/15 mandate.
4D is the position and 15 min s the maximum or target reporting latency. For the 737 class and above, sure all B-reg have it, national security matters. Airborne connectivity is not a problem, definitely not on widebodies.

QCVR is also a fact since around 2019 at the latest. During the various Safety Warfare Weeks (=bonus punishment periods) the culprits breaching sterile flight deck with chatter would be named and shamed with an internal memo, for instance.

Wireless QARs (LTE modems) have been the standard on Airbii for at least 10 years. The units I was familiar then with had 3 SIM card slots BTW.

The story above may have a more trivial explanation if the taxi mixup was in China. Viewed as a breach of an ATC command this lands the pilot in very hot water. It's not beyond imagination the report from ATC reached the company and the 8 hours of elapsed time was used to plan exactly what to do. After landing the standard LTE WQAR+CVR sent the data to the mothership and decision was reached swiftly, especially with a foreigner pilot to blame.. ATC supplying their audio inside the given time frame is also very feasible.

Having said that, linking the DMU to the SATCOM communication channel does only need technology that is presently available. Pulling larger data on request can also be done, on top of the regular 4D/15. Still, indicriminate streaming broadcast is not realistic, from my point of view. This comes back to the crash discussed, data is in the US and the rest ADS-B is public domain. Probably nothing in between.

​​​​
The incident I had was in Australia. Australia authorities called the company during the flight and when I landed in China 8 hours afterwards , the quality control already had the transcription of the CVR. THE DAY AFTER,I was there listening to my voice and the FO's. Just reminding that according to the manual, the CVR records the last 120 minutes. Not in China. In this case it was good, because thanks to that, I was considered not guilty