PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The airwar, Russia and the UN Charter Article 23(1)
Old 27th Apr 2022, 20:48
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
There is no authority that can actually do that. We've been over this before, in this thread and the JB one. There are five members who are more equal than the others, and Russia is one of those five.
You may as well rant about stripping the US of its Security Council seat.
Not gonna happen.
The UN exists because there was enough political will to make it exist, and enough to keep it existing, warts and all. (Korea was quite the test of that new organization at the time....)
It does not have to exist.
Like the League of Nations before it, the UN can stop existing. I don't think we'll be better off if that's the case, but it's one of the possible futures of this world. It works (such as it does work) because the Powers so wish it.

How about India or Brazil?
The planes aren't much use without trained crews to fly them, trained techs to keep them running, and the logistic tail to support them. They are complex weapons systems. (Your assessment on their vulnerability on the ground I concur with). And Death by Tray is certainly a classic.
I understand that the Security Council itself cannot change its membership but I think the General Assembly does have such authority. Anybody remember how PRC replaced Taiwan?