PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New EASA fuel rules
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2022, 19:28
Jump Complete

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A few years back, flying for a UK regional airline on a turbo-prop, as a FO, the sim instructor gave me a scenario (he wanted me to make all the decisions and act as Captain as he knew how the Captain I had as a sim partner would deal with it) where we arrived at destination with minimum fuel, then gave me everwhere nearby below limits.
When it was obvious we would be landing with less than 30 minutes of fuel, we declared a mayday. I was told I was number three for the mayday…
I ended up landing off a non-precision approach at roughly 1/3 rd of the minima. (hand flown NDB with 100’ cloud base abd 400 metres. I briefed my collegue (he was acting as a ‘willing but non-assertive FO’)
“This approach will be below limits. We will NOT be going around.”
Had I done so, we would have flamed out on the climb.
I was asked what I would have done if the runway had been blocked. I answered I would have landed on the grass nextto the runway. To do anything else would have been to die.
A bit over the top as an exercise perhaps. (I stressed I would never allow myself to get into that situation) but the instructor said “The point I want to make is, minimum fuel might not be enough.”